Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So I'm not a bath person...

...but I have been downright cranky lately and none of my other "normal" fixes are working (running, coffee, wine, talking it out, hanging with my "sisters", even the happy news of IKEA!). It works for a bit but then I'm back to being there again.

So I resorted to a bath and since I can't just sit there I put on my i-pod shuffle and got some insight from Sheryl Crown and Michael W Smith to help me adjust my attitude (quite the theological combo I know)

Sheryl, I Shall Believe

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me


MWS, Breathe
And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm I'm lost without you


And I got to thinking...we don't use the word desperate very much in our everyday life. It's not really something we are proud of to be "desperate" for something because it shows total weakness, total loss of self. And yet we can sing it. We aren't afraid to say we are desperate in the song but can we admit it otherwise?

So I guess what I am saying is when not everything is going the way you think it should be (umm yeah most often) and we try to make it right in our own doing (coffee, running, all that stuff). I guess it's ok to be desperate. Desperate for a God that we are lost without. He created us that way. I should know this I just studied it for 3 months...the whole ceasing self-sufficiency thing , but man it's a lifetime of really getting it.

So what are you desperate for? Can you admit it?

2 comments:

Chris, Tina, Georgia and Reese said...

Amen Sista! I love that MWS song!!! It's my mantra...

Honestly, I'm desperate for more frequent "ah-hah, holy moly He's awesome!" glimpses of God. Nothing is more refreshing than the perspective He brings. I guess that means I need to continue to fervently seek Him huh?!?

Heather Ainsworth said...

MmmmHmmm....I am desperate to get over myself. I keep asking God to help me be a "better Christian" and to please help me remember to go to Him with my problems. I just need to get over myself...I am desperate for God to consume me.