Monday, January 14, 2008

Special Treat?

So lately we (Jeremy and I) have been talking about entitlement...ours, our boys. Things that used to be special are now deserved or expected. Getting a shake at McDonalds, riding the toys at the mall, getting presents, shopping clearance (that's mine, obviously), etc. We see this creeping up in Aidan and we want to nip it right away, but how do we nip it if we are the ones that go through the drive-thru because it's easier? What has happened to discipline?

So that's it...that's our word for 2008, discipline. We are going with the word thing rather than the resolution thing. Because that's a lifestyle to change. And it's not going to be easy. Discipline in money, fitness, choices... It means saying no just because. It means being obedient to a lifestyle that is against what the world says. "You deserve it, you earned it, you had a bad day, treat yourself." We strive so much to give our kids more than we had but what happens when the more just leads to more?

Making things special again. Starbucks isn't special if you get it everyday (sorry guys, true). I really realized this at Christmas time...Christmas is special because it's not there everyday.

And the cool thing is discipline can be good...it means things will be special again and that's something worth working towards. (Yes honey, you can bring this post up when I'm really wanting things done NOW instead of waiting :))

So I ask, will you join me on this adventure?

3 comments:

Chris, Tina, Georgia and Reese said...

Amen sister! Chris and I really stuggle with that too...
Georgia's entitlement is chocolate milk instead of regular milk whenever we are out. We're working to explain that it's a special treat that doesn't happen all the time and if you complain when you don't get your chocolate milk that makes us not want to give it to you next time. Here's to 18 years (or more) of explaining this concept!

Lori Lynn said...

ah, my sister, I've been working on this for a while in myself. I'm always amazed at how many commercials and advertisements cater to that sense of entitlement. I'm sure you can come up with a few more, but the first one I think of is, "You deserve a break today." The last time I saw that on a billboard my first thought was this: "No, I don't deserve a break today. I deserve hell and eternal damnation. But my gracious redeemer has given me another chance."

Here's to joining you and yours in learning a little self discipline.

Crysti said...

Oh how much I need this!!! Andrew wants Star Wars guys every time we go to Target and I tend to throw in a couple extra things just cause they look neat and suddenly I'm paying way more than I ever meant to. Then there's the whole time side of it too. I need to get my chores done before I can sit and do xxx fun thing. I'm with you on this one!!